Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-dat

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: The minibuffer vs. Dialog Boxes (Re: Making XEmacs be more up-to-date)
Date: 23 Apr 2002 21:28:41 +0900

    Kai> I think Eli is sympathizing with Terje.  Does "refuse"
    Kai> perhaps convey a stronger meaning to a native English speaker
    Kai> than I thought at first?

Hm.  That hadn't occurred to me.  "Refuse to learn" in my dialect is
quite a strong condemnation, actually, and I was already adding quite
a bit of fuzz since Eli isn't (quite) a native speaker.  :-)  To
"refuse" to learn typically implies obstinacy or perversity.  In my
dialect, which I think is representative of native speakers in this
particular case.

My apologies, Eli, if I've gotten the connotations you intend quite
opposite.

Be that as it may, Eli is clearly arguing that the benefits to
learning more about Emacs IHHO greatly outweigh the barriers, enough
so that he's willing to contest Terje's (thought-out) opinion.
Furthermore, Eli implies that the cost of reducing the barriers is
quite high (elsewhere in the thread).

My point was that in XEmacs there are several developers who take the
opposite position (Andy, Ben, at least).  Despite (?) their
development experience, they feel the barriers are higher than the
benefits for a large potential audience, and that the cost to the
developers of reducing those barriers is low enough to be well worth
it.