CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: CC (was: Re: kill ring menu)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:22:13 +0200

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:

> When CC'ing, you are making an assumption that I filter my mail into
> separate mailboxes, and that I don't read those lists constantly.

Nope, we make the assumption that it is an open list where
non-subscribers can send messages, and do not make the extra manual
effort to remove the CC for people we believe are subscribing.

> A more reasonable assumption to make is that someone who posts to a
> list is subscribed to it.  Almost all of us who participate in
> regular discussion are subscribed, I'm sure.  If someone posts who
> *isn't* subscribed, then the onus is on *them* to say "Please CC
> me".  That way everyone else doesn't suffer just because a few lazy
> people occasionally post to the list without being subscribed
> outside.

Nobody has to suffer, as it is trivial (depending on the agent) to

1) avoid getting the duplicates in the first place, and
2) filter out the duplicates if you get them

and both can be fully automated.

We can't really expect non-subscribers to know special rules for the
mailing lists, or subscribers to remember who is and isn't subscribed,
and manually add or remove those from the list.  And none of that can
be automated.

> If I can't change this, then I just hope that a polite request at
> the top of my messages will at least prevent me personally from
> being CC'd.

Please consider using

or

or both, which will make at least some mail clients avoid the CC
automatically.