Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:06:32 -0800

>     You first select "What's this?" if it's available (not always provided
>     and sometimes it's a simple "?" next to the window's minimize button).
>     Then you select the "leaf" menu item of interest (ie. menus with
>     submenus don't trigger the "What's this?").  The menu remains open
>     during and after the tooltip is shown.

> This is almost identical to C-h k.  That shows the doc string of the
> menu item command.

Agreed.

I have found that it's not obvious that "describe-key" can also be
applied to menus and buttons.  Therefore, I would suggest adding a
"What's this?" entry to the standard Help menu that simply does
describe-key.  You can leave the "Describe Key" entry in the Describe
menu of the Help menu.  Because of MS-Windows precedent, this should
make it's use a little more obvious.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.