Re: skeleton.el machinery eats newlines.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: skeleton.el machinery eats newlines.
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:27:09 -0500

>     It seems to me that the "shift to the right" of the ;; between
>     Emacs20.7 and Emacs21 was a deliberate change and not an inadvertent
>     bug.
>
> It seems like a bug to me, because I agree with you that the result
> looks bad.  However, I don't know whether the change was intentional.
> If it looks intentional, who made it?

I believe it is because of the following:
in Emacs-20, sh-script did not offer auto-indentation so skeletons used
a "rigid" form of indentation defined in the skeleton's definition.
In Emacs-21, OTOH sh-script offers auto-indentation and skeletons thus
simply rely on it to do their job.

Now why was the indentation style chosen differently in the indentation
code than what the skeletons used, I don't know.

        Stefan