Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:45:26 -0400

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 12:04:56AM +0200, Lars Hansen wrote:
> >Emacs keybindings are not arbitrary, and they're a highly ingrained part of
> >the editor and its culture.
> >
> Yes, and in my opinion it is a problem.

Why?

Since I'm not entirely

> > MSWindows keybindings are not particularly great, and in my experience,
> > most MSWindow users don't even _use_ keybindings (or know them), beyond
> > the C-c/C-x/C-v triumvirate and the `shift-movement' selection -- both
> > of which cua-mode handles.
>
> I do not argue that we should implement MS Windows-like keybindings. I just
> argue that it should be easyer to change key bindings.

Ok, maybe I misread your post.  What exactly are you arguing for?
Do you mean there should be a nicer user interface for users to edit their
personal keybindings?

> > To change them in any large way, there would have to be a _very_ good
> > reason, and you certainly haven't shown one.
>
> The reason is to make Emacs more user friendly. More customizable. To make
> more people use Emacs, and realize that free software is not just for nerds.

I don't think this is as much an issue as you think -- in observing `naive'
(used to MSWindows apps) users using emacs, I've noticed that they usually
just ignore the keybindings altogether (even with cua-mode active) and use
the mouse/menus for _everything_.  To me this seems nuts, but I guess many
people operate this way in MSWindows apps anyway.

[and there's a certain point at which we _want_ to force people to come to
grips with emacs' different style, because it will help them in the future
(the whole give-a-fish/teach-to-fish thing)]

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!