Re: Your Emacs changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Your Emacs changes
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:46:20 +0200

> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:59:08 +0200
> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
> >
> > [There's the fpTeX project which produces native Windows ports of TeX,
> > DVIware, and related programs, so the assumption that only Cygwin
> > ports of those programs exist is incorrect.  fpTeX is included on the
> > annual releases of the "TeX Live" CDROM.]
>
> I didn't know that, so this is only tested with Cygwin versions of the
> TeX stuff.

I believe that with some caution, we could make it work with native
Windows ports as well.  The ENVADD stuff can be replaced with Make
directirves, and Unixy shell commands can be replaced with more or
less equivalent CMD commands.  Targets such as `dist' should be simply
removed, as they are not needed on Windows.

Colon-separated paths are a PITA, as I don't think Cygwin programs
support semi-colons there.  If indeed they don't, the only way out of
this mess I see is to tell people to edit the resultant Makefile by
hand, as much as I hate that.

> On a side note, NTFS does support hard links (AFAIK there's no native
> tool for it though, but Cygwin's "ln" works).

I knew that, but since native Windows programs don't support links,
their presence in NTFS is currently useless unless one works in a
Cygwin environment.