Re: "nmake info" Windows patch

From: Peter 'Luna' Runestig
Subject: Re: "nmake info" Windows patch
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:35:40 +0200

On 2003-08-29 13:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:25:16 +0200
>> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
>>
>> All this Windows-incompatible stuff in the new makefiles I created, is
>> related to building DVI files, not INFO files.  So, how should I do this:
>> rip out all non-INFO related stuff, or also make DVI building work (if I
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-- !!!

>> can find a Windows port of texi2dvi...)?
>
> Are you saying that you don't really care about the parts that produce
> Info files, only about the DVI stuff?  I'd say that Windows users
> should be able to produce the on-line Info manuals as well, but if you
> cannot work on that, I guess they won't be able to do that.

No, I'm saying the opposite. I started out, offering a patch that adds
"info" as a useable make target to the Windows port, for the first time
pretty precise a year ago. I recently posted it again when my copyright
assignment paper to FSF was cleared. Then comments were made on stuff in
the new makefiles I introduced, that didn't work on the Windows
platform. All those comments were about targets in the makefiles, that
wasn't used by the "info" targets, but were left in there by me anyway
(I used the unix makefile.in's as templates). So I'm now wondering, what
you guys want me to do about it, so this patch can go into the sources.

All I want is a working "info" make target.

>> > I knew that, but since native Windows programs don't support links,
>> > their presence in NTFS is currently useless unless one works in a
>> > Cygwin environment.
>>
>> As long as you have a "ln" tool, which doesn't need to come from Cygwin,
>> they are still quite useful.
>
> What other packages besides Cygwin offer a port of `ln'?

No idea, I just don't agree on that the NTFS support for hard link is
"useless".

Cheers,
- Peter
--