Re: "nmake info" Windows patch (was: Your Emacs changes)

From: Peter 'Luna' Runestig
Subject: Re: "nmake info" Windows patch (was: Your Emacs changes)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:25:16 +0200

On 2003-08-19 19:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:59:08 +0200
>> From: "Peter 'Luna' Runestig" <address@hidden>
>> I didn't know that, so this is only tested with Cygwin versions of the
>> TeX stuff.
>
> I believe that with some caution, we could make it work with native
> Windows ports as well.  The ENVADD stuff can be replaced with Make
> directirves, and Unixy shell commands can be replaced with more or
> less equivalent CMD commands.  Targets such as `dist' should be simply
> removed, as they are not needed on Windows.
>
> Colon-separated paths are a PITA, as I don't think Cygwin programs
> support semi-colons there.  If indeed they don't, the only way out of
> this mess I see is to tell people to edit the resultant Makefile by
> hand, as much as I hate that.

All this Windows-incompatible stuff in the new makefiles I created, is
related to building DVI files, not INFO files. So, how should I do this:
rip out all non-INFO related stuff, or also make DVI building work (if I
can find a Windows port of texi2dvi...)?

>> On a side note, NTFS does support hard links (AFAIK there's no native
>> tool for it though, but Cygwin's "ln" works).
>
> I knew that, but since native Windows programs don't support links,
> their presence in NTFS is currently useless unless one works in a
> Cygwin environment.

As long as you have a "ln" tool, which doesn't need to come from Cygwin,
they are still quite useful.

Cheers,
- Peter
--