Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: extensions for emacsclient (CVS version)
Date: 12 Sep 2003 06:22:11 +0900

Andreas Buesching <address@hidden> writes:
> It's getting complicate. I just got this mail from the copyright clerk.
> | While this is the proper contact for assignments, there is a step that
> | needs to be completed beofre contacting this address.  You need to
> | communicated first with the maintainer of the package to which you
> | seek to contribute at address@hidden or to the maintainer
> | individually.
> I guess sending this mail will also contact the maintainer and maybe he
> or someone else know what to do now?

Maybe it's explained by a part of the message you didn't include in this
excerpt, but I find that very confusing -- it doesn't say _why_ it's
necessary to `communicate with the maintainer,' or what to ask them.
Just, `communicate.'

I mean if someone's trying to send an assignment, surely there's a very
good chance they've already been in regular communication with the
maintainer (do people really send completely off the wall assignments?).

So if something extra is needed (an `authorization mail' from the
maintainer or whatever), it seems like the reply from <address@hidden>
should say what it is.

Yeah, this is just sort of random bitching, but many people find
assignments a pain in general, so I think it's good to make the process
as streamlined as possible.

Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?