Re: ruler support in hexl mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: ruler support in hexl mode
Date: 19 Mar 2004 11:06:07 +0100

>     My suggestion is that (by default) :align-to in header and mode lines
>     should also be relative to the left edge of the text area,
>     e.g. :align-to 0 would align exactly to the first column of the text
>     area.
>
> certainly simpler.  you cd use negative number if youreally want
> a pos before the text area. so no loss of function. sounds good.

> please do it.

Done.

To clarify:

With my fixes, the default position for header and mode lines (if no
:align-to is used) is still the left edge of the window (mode lines
certainly expect that).

With :align-to N (N is a number, also negative) you offset from the
left edge of the text area.

With :align-to (+ left-margin N) you offset from the left edge of
the left margin.

This also works in normal text rows, so you can align normal text
relative to the various window "decorations" (I'm not sure when that
would be useful, but it works nevertheless).

To center something above the left-margin, you can use

        :align-to (+ left-margin (0.5 . left-margin))

You can also align relative to the right edge of the text area, e.g.
10 character positions from the right margin is specified with:

        :align-to (- right 10)

And it works on text terminals as well!

I still need to write the necessary info in NEWS and display.texi.
Will do so asap.