Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: 15 Apr 2004 03:19:24 +0200

>     > I think it would be useful if Emacs had display-local variables, and a
>     > display type that is accessible from Lisp code.  The Elisp manual will
>     > have to be updated when (if) these features are implemented.
>
>     That sounds useful, especially with multi-tty support.
>
>     Richard -- is this something we should add?
>
> If it is necessary, we could add it with the multi-tty support.
> However, if we can do without it, let's do without it.  These would
> surely not be used very often.  It could be a feature not worth the
> effort it costs.
>
> When would you use it?

I like to have a menu-bar on a window system, but don't like it on
a terminal.  Maybe a display-local variable could do that.

There could also be a need for different keymaps to co-exist.

Some modes may also initialize things differently based on the display
type, e.g. depending on whether images are supported or not.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk