Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:08:06 -0400

    I like to have a menu-bar on a window system, but don't like it on
    a terminal.  Maybe a display-local variable could do that.

It would be just as easy to do this job with frame-local variables
(i.e. frame parameters), and they already exist.

    There could also be a need for different keymaps to co-exist.

I don't want to add a feature like this just because maybe
someone could use it sometimes.  Emacs is already quite complex;
let's not add more complexity to its basic mechanisms
unless that is really important.

    Some modes may also initialize things differently based on the display
    type, e.g. depending on whether images are supported or not.

On the contrary-- when the same Emacs can display on both ttys and
graphic displays, it is clearly better to set up the buffer in a way
that can work ok on both kinds of displays.