Re: Several suggestions for image support

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Several suggestions for image support
Date: 23 Apr 2004 01:32:10 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> > I wonder if slicing images is really the right approach to take.  It
> > will make possible scrolling through an image, though the interline
> > spacing will appear between the slices, which would be ugly.
>
> Unless we provide a way to suppress the interline spacing in that
> case.

I specifically reworked the interline spacing code to avoid adding
extra spacing in this case.

This is generally useful to properly display "pre-sliced" images
which are very common on web pages.

> > anyway, requiring programs that display images to slice them is
> > rather kludgy.
>
> Yes, most certainly.  Scrolling through images should be possible
> without slicing.  I agree that it would be a really bad kludge if the
> only way to scroll through images would be to require a program to
> slice them.

I never intended slicing to be used for image scrolling -- it _can_
be used for that, but it was implemented for other purposes.

In any case, slicing of images is a general way to display one or more
individual sections of a bigger image -- aka "cropping".

E.g. with image slicing you can implement the good old

        1 2 3 4
        5 6 7 8
        8 9 A B
        C D E X

puzzle in emacs (I'm not going to do that :-)

> > Is there some other reason to prefer to handle images by slicing
> > them?
>
> I would not recommend them as a general mechanism.  However, in the
> particular application for which I have asked for this feature, every
> slice is associated with a different piece of source code that is
> covered by it.  Splitting the image is not as much a tool for
> managing the display of the image than it is for managing control of
> the source code.
>
> When the source code gets uncovered, it would be convenient to have
> the cursor at the location corresponding to where the mouse pointed.
> Slicing the image makes this possible.  If I use the mouse to mark a
> region on the images, this will copy and paste just the text
> corresponding to that pieces of the images which have been marked.  If
> I edit a table cell, only the image of the cell I am editing at the
> moment will be replaced by the actual text.  In short: I need the
> slicing for an application where it is the natural way of dealing
> with the image.
>
> Whereas the proposal to demand applications to artificially slice
> their images or Emacs will scroll badly would be an unnatural way of
> dealing with it.
>
> I agree with you that slicing is not a solution to the bad scrolling
> of Emacs with regard to images.

I just implemented some functions requested by Stefan to assist
implementing image scrolling in lisp.