Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:25:57 +0300

> From: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:02:04 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I suggest to discuss that and try to identify the specific problems
> > that you think will cause such an approach to fail.  Then we might
> > have a better idea of the limitations of this approach, and could talk
> > about solutions.
>
> Easy.  Just consider the HTML document attachted below.

I looked at it, but I can't say I understand which specific problems
you refer to.  Assuming that the Emacs buffer has the text layed out
as you want it on the screen, plus whatever text properties that are
necessary to preserve the style information, what specifically would
cause Emacs to fail to display this as you want?

> I am thinking about an architecture (for word processing) that should
> be modular enough to replace the spaces-and-newline box model with
> something real without trouble.

Why should we even consider such replacement if we are not yet sure
that the spaces-and-newline model will fail to do the job?