Re: Splitting and moving generic.el.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Splitting and moving generic.el.
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:05:53 +0100

For some reason I'm missing all mail to emacs-devel between 4 April and 8 April, so I had to look into the archives to find this being discussed.

2005-04-05  Lute Kamstra  <address@hidden>

       * generic.el: Commentary section cleanup.
       (generic): Delete.
       (generic-use-find-file-hook, generic-lines-to-scan)
       (generic-find-file-regexp, generic-ignore-files-regexp)
       (default-generic-mode, generic-mode-find-file-hook)
       (generic-mode-ini-file-find-file-hook): Move to generic-x.el.
       * generic-x.el (generic-x): Docstring fix.  Put it in the data group.
       (generic-use-find-file-hook, generic-lines-to-scan)
       (generic-find-file-regexp, generic-ignore-files-regexp)
       (default-generic-mode, generic-mode-find-file-hook)
       (generic-mode-ini-file-find-file-hook): Moved from generic.el.

This change seems to have caused problems. The only reference in my .emacs to generic is a

(require 'generic-x)

which used to give me some extra generic based modes.

Now it just gives me an error:

An error has occured while loading ~/.emacs:

Symbol's value as variable is void: default-generic-mode

As an aside, I've found Emacs to be less stable since the feature freeze was declared than it has been since the early days of 21.0 development. I have very little time to spend on Emacs and the little time I have is spent tracking down the cause of problems like this leaving no time for any real bugfixing on the Windows port. I don't know what the answer is to this, but I'm finding it frustrating that after a year of feature freeze, people are still shuffling code around between files and directories and renaming variables while the manuals still need more proofreading and real bugs need fixing.