Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:05:32 -0400

    So the "provide" merely sets a flag, and this flag causes the
    encompassing load not to throw the collected previous autoload data
    away at the end of the load sequence, but use it for marking the
    changed functions with the old autoloads in their properties.

    Clearer now?

Why make this depend on the presence of `provide' in the file?
If we implement this feature, it would be simpler and probably
more useful to do it for all files, whether or not they include
a `provide' call.

The other issues make this a complex matter.  I tend to think
that unload-feature should be designed for well-behaved
packages that do not redefine functions defined elsewhere.