Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:06:42 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Especially so since it isn't actually used for that, though many
people beleive it to be, and probably end up thinking they get a 50%
success rate as a result. To rename a file in Windows you click once on
the file to select it, and a second time within the text to edit
it. Cells in spreadsheets work the same way.
Ehum, thanks. Well I said at least that the mouse clicking behaviour confused me ;-)

I think this is kind of a hidden feature and I dislike that. What I like instead are behaviours like this:

- mouse-1 click does an easily recognized function, like setting point or focus. Or, if it is something similar in look to a web browser link, then it should be a link and that link should be followed.

- mouse-1 double-click could be used to kind of opening functions when mouse-1 click is used to set focus.

- mouse-2 are used for less often used things - and it should pop up a menus for those things. (Though of course I realize that Emacs has choosen a different path here and that this could not be changed now.)