Re: Emacs and GFortran

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs and GFortran
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:58:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 12:43:18 -0800 From: Steve Kargl
>> <address@hidden> Cc: Thomas Koenig
>> <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Sigh.  Two patches to fortran/error.c have been proposed.
>> Both patches cause a significant number of failures in the
>> gfortran testsuite.
>
> When the failures were reported, Alfred asked for the details of the
> failures.  He didn't get them; only today were some of the necessary
> details posted.  You cannot expect him to fix 2000 failures without
> knowing their particulars.  Telling those details is the minimal
> courtesy I think you owe to someone who volunteers to fix a bug in
> your package.

Let us keep this in perspective: those developers are fixing bugs in
"their" package all of the time and doing their users a greater favor
continually than a one-time effort of somebody else will do to them.

I find the _demands_ people tend to place on volunteers in the free
software world surprising at times.  This holds for demands towards
Emacs developers as well, so I don't think we are sitting in a
different boat here.

The problem has been solved in the mean time.  I am grateful that
stuff like this can, in the end, be worked out and addressed properly.