Re: Switching to Subversion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Switching to Subversion
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:16:44 +0900

Thomas Arendsen Hein <address@hidden> writes:
>> No, I know that mercurial definitely has some very strong points, though
>> I've seen a lot of arguing over their relative merits.  I'm slightly
>> nervous about the name-based repository layout though, as it's such a
>> horrible lose in the case of CVS
>
> That's actually one of the strong points of Mercurial. Because of
> the name based layout the directory traversal order is more
> efficient for filesystems with linear directory storage (like ext[2-4])

My question is whether it has negative effects though.  Name-based
layouts are indeed often very efficient, but might tie things to names
too much.

I tried to use mercurial a long time ago, and noticed it seemed to have
only very poor renaming support -- renames basically seemed to show up
as delete+add (mind you git's not all that great either in that sense).

-Miles

--
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.  -- Steven Wright