Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:13:33 +0100

"Herbert Euler" <address@hidden> writes:

>>I'm not completely sure whether your measurements are fair.  Have you made
>>sure that syntax-ppss's caching doesn't give an unfair advantage to one or
>>the other?  I'd suggest to try with a real "micro-benchmark" and use
>>parse-partial-sexp rather than syntax-ppss.  You could also do it in a real
>>buffer (e.g. turn off jit-lock, load a big Perl file: font-lock should
>>place a fair bit of syntax-table properties in there, then call
>>parse-partial-sexp with and without parse-sexp-lookup-properties).
>
> I copied the content of
>
>    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/W/WA/WAYNEM/betsie-1.5.12.pl
>
> many times so that got a Perl file of 268274172 bytes (257 MB).  I
> then evaluated the following forms:

Note that features like syntax highlighting that are enabled by
default need to avoid catastrophic slowdown in all cases (excepting at
most pathological ones), not just average large ones.

So a single example will not really prove that such a change is
without major consequences.  Of course, if such a single example fails
in that respect, this is not better...