Re: constant `e'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: constant `e'
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:12:01 -0500

> recognises the name C.  Has e ever been known to mathematicians by any
> other name?  So no, in my humble opinion, it would not be a good idea to

That's the wrong question.  Within a "math" package/module/namespace, yes,
you're probably right.  But the question is "should the symbol e be globally
associated with the 2.718... numerical constant, even in contexts that have
nothing whatsoever to do with mathematics?"

I can't remember the last time that I've used the 2.718... constant, but
I do use "e" many times a day to refer to an "expression" (and "t" or "τ"
for a type, incidentally).

        Stefan