Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Invisibility bug: `invisible' vs `display'
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:13:31 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The `*' and `?' characters have `invisibile' properties
>>> with a value of `t', so I expect to see none of them.
>>>
>>> The `?' characters all have `display' properties with a
>>> value of "!" (one of them has "$" instead, for clarity).
>>> This, I believe, _should_ be irrelevant.
>>
>> The `display' text property overrides `invisible'.
>
> If that were true, then all the `?' characters should
> display as exclamation marks, but they don't, so the
> `display' text property does not override `invisible'.
>
> This still looks like a bug to me.
>
> Let me state again what I see:  The `display' property
> overrides `invisible' if and only if the previous character
> is visible.  How is this reasonable or useful in any way?

When folding stretches of code, it does not make sense to have images
in between cluster all together and stick out in spite of the
invisibility of the region.

I am not saying that the current behavior is perfect, but it would
seem you would want to replace it with something that can cause quite
a bit of trouble, and I don't think we have the time to shake out all
repercussions before the release.

--
David Kastrup