Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model (was: Syncing Gnus and Emacs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model (was: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:22:24 -0700

  > I have decided that we should not merge unicode-2 until a couple of
  > months have gone by and we know what should be done about Emacs 22.2.
  > Until then I want to avoid far-reaching changes in the trunk.
  > Please stop making a fuss about a couple of months.
  >
  > However, it is ok to add new features which are not so far-reaching in
  > their effects on the code.  Even the multi-tty branch could be merged
  > in (once we decide what to do about the environment).

This development model would undoubtedly achieve the goal of being
able to make a high quality 22.2 release.

Here is a proposal that would still achieve the same goal, with the
added advantage that it would get us closer to a future 23.1 release
at a higher speed:
 * ask for 2-3 (or more) volunteers that would:
     - backport all the changes that you'd consider important from
     trunk to the 22.x branch
     - develop fixes for bugs that only occur on the 22.x branch
     - analyze the reported 22.1 bugs and fix them or ask for help to
     fix them
     - ask you to stop all development on the trunk until some critical
     bug is fixed on the branch.
 * open the trunk for any new development
   Now, during the summer, is a very good time to allow for more
   development to happen: a lot of people have more free time, we'd
   want them to use that time for emacs as much as possible.

Do you find such a plan acceptable? IMHO a plan like this would
satisfy the people that ask for more development on the trunk.

Please let us know.

Thanks!

        --dan

PS: In order to reduce the number of messages on the list, please
 allow RMS to reply to this and agree/disagree with the principle of
 this before posting alternate better plans or improvements to this
 one.