Re: Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Proposal for a 22.2/trunk development model
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:41:33 +0200

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>   > >
>   > >   > I have decided that we should not merge unicode-2 until a
>   > >   > couple of months have gone by and we know what should be
>   > >   > done about Emacs 22.2.  Until then I want to avoid
>   > >   > far-reaching changes in the trunk.  Please stop making a
>   > >   > fuss about a couple of months.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > However, it is ok to add new features which are not so
>   > >   > far-reaching in their effects on the code.  Even the
>   > >   > multi-tty branch could be merged in (once we decide what
>   > >   > to do about the environment).
>   > >
>   > > This development model would undoubtedly achieve the goal of being
>   > > able to make a high quality 22.2 release.
>   >
>   > Undoubtedly?  Richard is talking about the trunk, you are
>   > talking about 22.2 which is to be done off EMACS_22_BASE.  So I
>   > don't see the two areas actually related, _unless_ one plans to
>   > _scrap_ EMACS_22_BASE and basically copy trunk over it.  Which
>   > nobody has proposed, and which I'd consider an even worse idea
>   > than quite a few others I have blown my top over.
>
> Your attitude is completely puzzling to me. I made a concrete,
> constructive proposal to RMS to try to move things in the direction
> that you seem to want too. Instead of waiting for his reply (as I
> politely asked)

Since Richard _has_ already declared the trunk open for new
development, there is no point in asking him to declare the trunk open
for new development _again_.  There is also no point in waiting for
him to do so _unless_ you are of the opinion that he changed his mind
about that.

> and try to have a constructive discussion after that, you chose to
> be destructive and nitpick my proposal.

There is simply no point in proposing things (or rather wordings) that
have already been agreed upon.  The differences here are about what it
_means_ to have the trunk open for new development.  It _is_ already
declared so by Richard.

> Sorry, but I think that a discussion along the lines you started is
> not going to get anywhere, so I'll stop here.

I also see that the discussion along the lines I started (namely that
among the three unicode-2, trunk, EMACS_22_BASE there clearly is one
too many for sensible development focused on a 22.2 and a 23.1
release) is not going anywhere.  But discussing some other problem
which we have tackled already does not seem like a useful alternative.