Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is there a plan to record kbd macro as elisp code?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:11:30 -0400

    I think the goal is not to produce Lisp code exactly equivalent to the
    keyboard macro, but a useful basis for writing a new Lisp function.

That is right.  Thus, we don't want all the effects of all
pre-command-hooks and post-command-hooks to be included.

We want that only for cases like Delete Selection mode
where the user will think of them as part of the meaning of the command.