Re: Commit practices

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Commit practices
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:25:20 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> Perhaps we could substitute for that lost capability
> with a new feature in Change Log mode to selectively display
> the items that pertain to a certain file.

It's not necessary. Because the report from svn log (or hg log, or bzr
log) is generated from the commit history, filtering for the change
history for a particular file is trivial.  All modern VCSes support
this, and I mean *all*.

So: say "svn log", and you get the entire commit history.  Say "svn
log foo.c" and you get the history of all commits touching foo.c, and
only those commits.  Similarly for bzr and hg.

Keeping what is now the Changelog info in the commit comments
would gives us the ability to see either the commit history as a whole
or any file's individual history.  We would lose nothing.