Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:33:34 -0400

    To be honest, I wouldn't do that either if somebody suggested it to me.
    But if you did try this, you might then be a bit more sympathetic to
    those who percieve that type of software to be modern, efficient, and OK.

I sympathize fully with appreciation of convenient software.
What I refuse to sympathize with is the failure to appreciate
freedom even more.

    I see my task, miniscule though my personal contribution might be, to be
    to make freedom convenient.  Several of my colleagues over the years have
    told me they don't care about software freedom, they want the tools which
    get their job done best.  You can't argue with that,

Yes we can.  We have done so for 25 years and we will continue to do so.

    it's consistent and
    honest.

It is foolish and dangerous.

             I think free software should cater to them, too.

We cater to them to the extent it doesn't interfere with more
important goals, such as establishing a free society.