Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:55:45 +0200

Lennart Borgman wrote:

I just out of curiosity installed Cygwin Emacs. Now I am more curious about why
this version of Emacs is there.

For me nearly nothing works in this Emacs. For example typing C-c results in C-g. Trying
to examine a variable results in the error message "Cannot open load file: pp".
Trying to send a bug report I am told that Emacs can not load emacsbug. Etc.

The about page says

  GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
   of 2007-07-19 on HERRING

Is there anyone to contact about this?

Which package have you installed?

In Cygwin the current version of Emacs is 21.2-13, instead 22.1 is in the test section, i.e. it is an experimental package.

It is more than an year that it is there without being promoted to current because people reported it crashes (see [1] and its replays).

The fact is that since version 22 Emacs is unstable when built with gcc-3.4.4 (the current version on Cygwin) and its maintainer on Cygwin is waiting for 4... series, with which it is enough stable. Perhaps this explain why 22.2 isn't neither in test version.

Following [1], you can find other useful information.

Cheers,
   Angelo.

---
[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-07/msg00609.html