Re: How to reply to bug reports

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: How to reply to bug reports
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:29:35 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> There's a change: the contributors don't all accumulate in the From: and
>>> To: and Cc: line any more.
>
>> Anyone who contributes after the bug is opened is presumably
>> subscribed to the bug mailing list, else they would never have got a
>> copy in the first place. So no need for inflation of the To/Cc
>> addresses (which I always saw as rather pointless).
>
> There's a web interface as well.  Currently, it's not widely advertized,
> but in most bug-tracking systems I know, it's very common for end-users
> to search the bug-tracker (via the web) before posting a new bug.  So if
> they find a related bug, they'll probably contribute to it, although
> they did not receive it.

This is true. I do this a lot, and it would be very annoying if I
didn't (automatically) get followups. I'd bet that the majority of
Debian bugs have submissions from others and I haven't heard a single
complaint about their being subscribed to the bug emails.

Because that's what people want.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD