Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 08:22:30 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dired is the Emacs version of a directory browser.  So I think it
> makes sense to understand Dired in comparison to other directory
> browsers.

Yup, I do that.

And compared to my other directory browser in the GNU system, the
combination of bash, ls etc., Emacs' current behaviour is totally
consistent within its environment.

Does the GNU midnight commander has a notion of a trash can?  Or any
other GNU program besides GNOME at all?

If the freedesktop project proposes a trash-can spec, I don't mind if
the freedesktop spec conformant version of Emacs adheres to that.

But as long as Emacs supports running outside of a freedesktop
environment (as it does here), please don't impose by default a
behaviour that absolutely doesn't fit within anything else but Windows
or the freedesktop environment.

        Hannes