Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: René Kyllingstad
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 16:23:34 -0100

* Johannes Weiner:
>  I see that the main bulk of people using computers is more and more
>  getting away from understanding the tools they use and the tools
>  accomodate to that to become more and more simple to use intuitively and
>  with more mechanisms that protect ignorant users from their own actions.
>
>  But in this process they lose power.  I noticed that when I watched a
>  friend of mine resizing images one by one, for hours.

[snipped story]

>  I like Emacs because it is NOT like all the others, because it has NOT
>  broken heuristics that get in my way in really annoying ways.
>
>  Again, *nix-like interfaces might not have so many users as other
>  interfaces have but there *is* demand for it and if you don't like it,
>  adjust the tool or use a different one.

I agree with the philosophy of this, but don't think it really applies for
deletion of files.  It might be that simple permanent deletion have the
virtues of being simple to implement and fast to execute, but it's not
really what most people want, if given a choice.  We want:

  1. delete, but with easy undelete until the space is really needed for
     something else
  2. fast
  3. safe delete, when the information _must_ be gone for privacy/security
     reasons rather than to reclaim disk space and remove clutter

The current behaviour is neither 1 nor 3, but depending on the FS it might
be 2.  I guess some of the disagreement here is because there might not be
any FS that supports 1, having a trash can but emptying automatically if
needed without noticable performace impact.

-- René