Re: Sending attachments

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 21:07:51 +0200

On Wed, Jul 08 2009, Jason Rumney wrote:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> A suitable front-end to mml-attach-file could avoid asking all the
>> annoying questions.
> It is probably reasonable to use a type of application/octet-stream,

Please don't follow the bad behavior of MS Outlook.  mml-attach-file
figures out the suitable default by consulting the MIME type / Mailcap
files.  application/octet-stream is more or less a fallback for
arbitrary binary data, see RFC 2046

> disposition of attachment and have no description for simple
> attachments.  So the only absolutely necessary question is the
> filename.

We could add an option as we do when using drag and drop to attach a

,----[ <f1> v mml-dnd-attach-options RET ]
| mml-dnd-attach-options is a variable defined in `mml.el'.
| Its value is nil
| Documentation:
| Which options should be queried when attaching a file via drag and drop.
| If it is a list, valid members are `type', `description' and
| `disposition'.  `disposition' implies `type'.  If it is nil,
| don't ask for options.  If it is t, ask the user whether or not
| to specify options.
| You can customize this variable.

Bye, Reiner.
      (o o)