Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el (was: Sending attachments)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: rfc2047.el dependencies on mm-util.el (was: Sending attachments)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:22:03 -0400

    > What I want to do is keep the two functions
    > mm-find-mime-charset-region and mm-charset-to-coding-system (and their
    > subroutines and data) together with rfc2047.el, making them too a
    > regular part of Emacs.

    Do we really need these two functions?  I think we have the necessary
    infrastructure in Emacs:

      . find-charset-region

      . find-coding-systems-region

I don't know whether they do 100% of the job.  I asked Handa basically
that question a week ago, but he has not answered yet.

I have been working on extracting the actually needed parts of mm-util.el.
That code often consists of wrappers around these standard functions.
But it does not have comments explaining why do something different,
or which cases  are intended to get different treatment, etc.