Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs is on Bazaar now.
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:51:13 +0900

Kenichi Handa writes:

 > For instance, I recently committed these changes in CVS
 > (just before it becomes readonly)
 >
 > 2009-12-25  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>
 >
 >      * composite.h (composition_adjust_point): Update prototype.
 >
 >      * composite.c (composition_reseat_it): Don't make a composition
 >      spanning over point.
 >      (CHAR_COMPOSABLE_P): Treat U+200C (ZWNJ) and U+200D (ZWJ) as
 >      composable characters.
 >      (composition_adjust_point): New arg NEW_PT.  Callers changed.
 >
 >      * keyboard.c (command_loop_1): Force redisplay if the last point
 >      was within a composition.
 >      (adjust_point_for_property): Don't adjust point for automatic
 >      composition when called after buffer modification.
 >
 > At that time, each changed file got it's own CVS log because
 > I committed each file with C-x v v while supplying its own
 > log by using C-c C-a.
 >
 > Now with bazaar, according to the wiki page, it seems that I
 > must commit all files at once with a single log, and thus
 > all changed files are given the same log.  Is that true?

It's true that all files committed at one time get the same VCS log.

 > Is that the right thing?

Yes.

There are alternatives that are closer to your CVS workflow.  However,
some involve per-file commits.  Those will probably be opposed by many
developers because they will make the VCS logs harder to read and
understand.  There are also tools that allow you to manage changes on
a piece by piece basis.  Then you finish by grouping them into a
single commit.  The disadvantage to those tools is that they will
require additional effort on your part to install and learn them.

If adjusting to this style is really uncomfortable for you, we can
discuss the options.

 > If so, is there any convention about the format of the log?
 > Can I use a relevant part of ChangeLog file as is?

Reusing the ChangeLog entry is very common in other projects that use
ChangeLogs.  A good Emacs ChangeLog entry will generally correspond to
a single commit in Bazaar, so it can be reused for the VCS log for
that commit.  As Juanma says, it's very useful to the readers to
provide a one-line summary at the top of each entry.

Eg, the ChangeLog entry quoted above looks like it describes a set of
changes that should constitute a single commit[1], and that log would be
in good style if you add a summary, such as "Improve redisplay and
point handling in character composition".

Footnotes:
[1]  The change to CHAR_COMPOSABLE_P might better be split out into a
separate commit, unless that change is needed because of the other
changes.