Re: log format for vc-bzr

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: log format for vc-bzr
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:39:10 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Fri, 08 Jan 2010 14:52:54 +0200

   Yes, I see that now, but if ttn called that ``personal junk'',
   then I cannot disagree more.  That's the history of my work; I
   don't see how someone could object to having it in the public
   repository.  Without it, some changes, such as inadvertent
   merge mistakes, can never be investigated and will remain a
   mystery forever.

Although in personal projects i don't commit with the specific log
entry "gone to lunch", i *do* tend to make lots of small commits
with the pattern: open, futz, close.  E.g.:

 0 (open)  add debug output (printf, message, etc)
 1 (futz)  split func into producer + consumer; nfc
 2         make func take producer
 3         update func callers to pass producer
 4         add optional arg
 5         update docs
 6 (close) reindent caller-1
 7         remove debug output

The end result of this series then is squashed into one commit
to the "trunk" (or whatever) as:

 8 Don't hardcode `func' producer; make callers pass it in.
   * src/file.ext (func) Take two more args: PRODUCER, OPTION.
   (caller-1, caller-2): Update calls to `func'.
   * doc/stuff.texi (API Infernals): Update `func' intro, docs.

I consider commits 0, 6 and 7 (open, close) to be ``personal
junk'' (ruminative, not so interesting, and potentially confusing
for ttn-in-six-months (weeks?, hours?)).  Commits 1-5, on the
other hand, are interesting, but are not of publishable quality
for two reasons: (a) they introduce inconsistent state -- 2
introduces arity mismatch; (b) their log entries are incomplete
(albeit useful to synthesize later).  I believe publishing those
as discrete commits would only add noise; they, too are ``personal
junk''.

Note that even though it is 8 that gets published, i can keep
0-7 in a local branch, untouched, for as long as i wish.  Now,
it's not just personal, it's perpetual!

Perhaps i should add that i don't find junk objectionable; what
conscious bit-recycler and occasional garbage collector would?

thi