Re: Integrating package.el

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:59:30 +0100

2010/3/1 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:32:21 +0100 Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> JB> (I am rather confused by the mixture of quoting styles.)
>
> JB> Absolutely. However this information is missing from a lot of
> JB> libraries. Also even if library contain version information it is
> JB> still uncommon that libraries state what version of their
> JB> dependencies are actually required.  Cedet contains something like
> JB> this - has this portion of cedet been merged into 23.2?
>
> We have to start somewhere.  Tracking dependencies is not possible until
> versions are consistent so I think it's OK to use (version . nil) in the
> load-history for the libraries that don't have a version header.

Yes.

> Does elm.el support that scheme as package.el does, distinguishing
> between package installation (with a versioned install dir) and package
> activation?

No, it is not a package manager it doesn't care if a package is
installed it just
needs to know where the sources are and then extracts information from it.
elx.el and lisp-mnt.el are used to extract information from individual packages.
elm.el is used to collect, check and store that information.

If I write a package manager it will be called epkg until (and if) it
can be merged
with package.el.

-- Jonas