Re: Integrating package.el

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Re: Integrating package.el
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 22:37:43 +0100

2010/3/1 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:
> OK.  But I still think Emacs should record the version as I suggested
> whenever it finds it in a .el/.elc file.  It would help resolve many
> annoying user-level bugs by showing exactly what version of the library
> was loaded, not implied from the directory but directly from the version
> header.

The information you get like this at runtime is not reliable. Some people
bump right after making a new release other develop for months keeping
the version from the latest release.

Rather this information should be extracted by the repository maintainers,
They have the full history of the package (if available) and cat determine
from that which of the many revision containing a particular version string,
actually IS that version... (I have some slightly buggy code for this
somewhere).

Speaking of version strings, are there any conventions how an author
should version his packages? Currently when I make edits after a
release and make them public while not wanting to release yet another
version I usually just add a "+" after the version.

Not really happy with it. But what should I be doing instead?

-- Jonas