RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:08:13 -0700

> >> Is that reason enough to enable delete-selection-mode by default?
> >
> > I vote yes.  Yes, of course.
> >
> > But we've been around this block a few times before. Here
> > we go, round and round. Folks will chime in again about
> > cua-mode, cua-selection-mode, pc-selection-mode,
> > transient-mark-mode,... The antimouse will raise its medusa
> > head again... Round and round and round we go... Are we
> > having fun yet?
>
> Please note that actually pc-selection-mode was already enabled
> by default in 23.1 (shift-arrow keys with transient-mark-mode).

Hm. Not quite. `pc-selection-mode' is off (e.g. the variable is nil), though
what you say about the arrow keys is true. Thanks for pointing that out.

BTW -

I'm no expert on PC selection mode, but playing with it a bit and looking at the
doc, it seems that the behavior (but not the doc) has changed from Emacs 22 to
23 - no doubt due to the arrow-key change you refer to.

The doc for `pc-selection-mode' says that UNshifted arrow keys disable the mark
(I guess it should say "deactivate", not "disable"). But I don't see that
happening in Emacs 23. In Emacs 23, the arrow keys extend the active region,
whether or not they are shifted, and whether or not `pc-selection-mode' is
turned on.

Perhaps someone knowledgable can compare the `pc-selection-mode' behaviors in 22
and 23, and report back with (a) a summary and (b) whether the Emacs 23 behavior
is as documented.

> So now we have a weird state with enabled pc-selection-mode
> and disabled delete-selection-mode.

Actually, `pc-selection-mode' enables `delete-selection-mode' (hence also
t-m-mode).

FWIW, my own vote is still for `delete-selection-mode', not `pc-selection-mode'
as the default.