Re: rainbow-mode

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: rainbow-mode
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:22:09 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> So let's check everything on the Emacs Wiki into Emacs.  By your theory
> that will get the Emacs developers to work on all of it.

No, that's not my theory.

Look, in each separate case, it's obviously just a matter of taste.  Is
a mode for highlighting Clojure code something that Emacs should have
centrally?  In ELPA?  Totally separately?  Is a PVR interface?  Is
gnutls?

Each of these, of course, need individual consideration.

However, in general I don't think offloading things that would
traditionally be in Emacs (say, a Ruby mode) to ELPA will help.  I think
it's quite clear that things that are in ELPA will bit rot faster than
code that's in Emacs.  As Glenn pointed out, he's cleaning up and
working on the Emacs distribution, and that's my inclination, too.  If
we want to say "well, Emacs has a supported Ruby mode", then having it
in ELPA will only hinder that, not help.

To get back to the example at hand, rainbow-mode, it's something that I
would use, and the repeated reimplementation of the same functionality
shows that it's something that other people would use, too.  That's my
argument for including it in Emacs.  What are the counter-arguments?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen