ELPA policy

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:40:39 +0100

Hi,

This topic has been recently brought by Lars, Ted and me on the gnus
mailing list. I've been asked to move this discussion here for
clarification.

I am currently worried by the Emacs ELPA archive and what will be that
policy. As Lars pointed out, until now, packages have been added over
the years into Emacs trunk, maintained by a extended set of skilled
hands, assuring good quality in (almost :-)) every place of every
packages furnished with Emacs.

Now, with the introduction of ELPA I'm worried about a lot of things.

- Who will be able to upload to ELPA?
- Who will fix the packages' bugs?
- Who will assure there's no regression for Emacs 24.1 user when people
  will starts uploading packages using 24.2 only function?
- Who will assure there's no regression at all?
- Who will assure there's no really bad things uploaded?
- Will all new packages go to ELPA, or with some still go to Emacs
  trunk? And if some can go to the trunk, upon which rules?
- Will all/most of the current packages be moved to ELPA?

There's probably a lot more question outstanding. I've the feeling ELPA
is adding a second class citizenship for packages, and I really do not
like that, at least in its current form.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <address@hidden>   http://julien.danjou.info