Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:42:17 -0700

2011/3/16 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>:

> SM> Adding a load-directory function is OK, yes.  But please send the
> SM> corresponding patch for review first.
>
>>> First, the library.
>
> SM> Sounds like this is a package, which I'd be happy to see in ELPA, but
> SM> in core.

> If you and Chong don't want that, then I'll put it in the ELPA.

I only saw Stefan say to go ahead with a load-directory function,
which I assumed would live in files.el next to load-file and look
something like this:

(defun load-directory (dir recursive)
 "Load all Lisp files in DIR.  If RECURSIVE is non-nil,
recursively call load-directory for all subdirectories of dir."
 (interactive "DLoad Dir: \nP")
 (dolist (file (directory-files dir t ".*\\.el$"))
   ;; Cut off the .el so load will pick up the .elc version if it's there
   (setq file (substring file 0 -3))
   (load file))
 (when recursive
   (dolist (file (directory-files dir t))
     (if (and (file-directory-p file)
              (not (string-match "/\\.\\.?$" file)))
         (load-directory file recursive)))))

If I'm not mistaken that's about 90% of what you want, and makes using
your own load-dir at least as easy as using your own custom-file.

-PJ