adding a standard font-lock-number-face

From: Fabian Ezequiel Gallina
Subject: adding a standard font-lock-number-face
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:00:12 -0300

Hi devs,

In the python.el bugtracker[0] an interesting discussion started about
highlighting numbers in python.el.

I'm kinda against of adding a custom python.el face for it and
contribute to the non-standard faces hell we already face from other
packages which make Emacs hard to theme.

So the first idea the user mentioned when I rejected such approach was
using font-lock-constant-face which sounds good, but I don't think
I've seen another package to do such thing, and I'm sure most Emacs
users are accustomed to see numbers in a different decoration than
constants.

So long story short: isn't a good idea to add a standard
font-lock-number-face in order to have fine grained control on
font-lock and give the users the chance to customize numbers
decoration out of the box?

[0] https://github.com/fgallina/python.el/issues/42

Thanks,
--