Re: Git mirrors

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 02:36:54 -0500

> (If you haven't already done so) May I suggest that you make the bzr
> revision id available somehow for every revision (probably use of "git
> notes" would be best)?  If the canonical git mirror always makes the revid
> available, you can ask reporters to fish it out.  Somebody[tm] will quickly
> write a command to extract it and do something vc.el-y with it (eg, bzr
> diff, bzr revert).  And of course report-emacs-bug can be trained to DTRT
> here.

I will see what can be done.  Due to the nature of Git, my own Bazaar mirror
has entirely different commit ids than what Savannah has.

This can be dealt with in the following ways:

  1. Start a new mirror, telling people to look there if they wish to follow
     Git.

  2. Merge the current Git mirror into mine.  This has the downside that every
     commit before that merge would be duplicated.

  3. Overwrite the current mirror with my own.  This will wreak havoc
     throughout the realm, as everyone on their next pull would merge their
     own histories with the new mirror, thus duplicating each commit not on
     the server, but on every client machine who had cloned before now.

> Note that you *don't* need to do this immediately for past revisions.  If
> some bzr-lover wants them, because git notes are ahistorical, they can be
> added later by sis (a Sufficiently Intelligent Script), and in any case
> they'll rapidly become obsolete.

Notes can be useful, but they don't propagate through a clone.

What I do have is an upstream-git-map file, which I can make available over
HTTP.  Simply grep'ing this file will correlate BZR ids to Git commit hashes,
and vice-versa.

John