Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 00:58:23 +0100

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 00:14, chad <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> When you do manual checks, do you run a program that checks for updates,
>> downloads them, and then installs them; or do you load up a web browser,
>> visit some project pages from memory/bookmarks/etc, and start downloading
>> and unpacking zip files?
>
> Well, for the operating system I do the first, because it is what the
> system allows. For other software, I do visit the page, unload zip
> files or whatever and unpack them.
>
>> I'm trying to understand your reasoning for objecting to a default setting
>> that
>> would notify the user about critical issues.  Either I'm not understanding
>> what
>> you're saying, or you're saying that the default users shouldn't have a
>> feature
>> that many (I'd say `vast majority', but `many' is enough) because it might
>> cause you to have to type `n' a few times, and that doesn't match what I
>> expect from seeing your efforts on emacs-devel.
>
> My objection is at a more fundamental level: we should not be
> distributing binaries. For Windows, we are forced (more or less),
> because most Windows users do not have a build environment, so we
> should distribute the minimal binary that can possibly work and leave
> options to the user.

The distribution should have everything the user might *optionally*
want. This kind of minimalist thinking doesnt exactly help new users
adopt emacs when they have no clue about building or fetching/installing
such components themsleves. Let the advanced users opt out, but dont cut
off the beginners and new users. Its silly. If distributing binaries
local to the emacs install helps people get going then why not? You can
disable this. You're an advanced user.