Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:10:05 +0400

From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 18:43:24 +0400

     It is always preferable to use --prefix to configure Emacs for
     some specific location of its installed tree; the default
     /usr/local is not suitable for Windows.

What's going to happen if I disregard this recommendation? Will build
fail?

No, I don't think the build will fail.  --prefix is only important for
"make install".

If the installation will fail, maybe the prefix should default to some reasonable directory within the Emacs tree. Would it be hard to do that?

I've taken a habit of running Emacs from the trunk\bin directory
on Windows, I just add it to PATH. Will that stop working?

I don't know, I never tried such a strange arrangement with the Posix
build.  Why don't you simply run Emacs from src instead?  That is how
Emacs is supposed to be run uninstalled.  Otherwise, you will be
copying a lot of files for no good reason.

Ah, okay, thanks. That's how I run Emacs on GNU/Linux.

And anyway, how is running from trunk/bin related to --prefix?

Technically, it's unrelated, I guess, so this was just a question from someone who has been using the NT port for some time. AFAICT, the "make install" step is mandatory to running Emacs built that way.

  (We recommend that you refrain from installing the MSYS Texinfo
  package, which is part of msys-base, because it might produce mixed
  EOL format when installing Info files.  Instead, install the MinGW
  port of Texinfo, see the ezwinports URL below.)

How am I supposed to do that? MinGW-Get installer only allows me to
check or uncheck the whole "MSYS Base" category, not the individual
packages.

I don't know; I don't use mingw-get.  Perhaps uninstall the Texinfo
package after installing msys-base (assuming mingw-get has an
uninstall option that can uninstall a single package)?  If that
doesn't work, I suggest to ask on the mingw-users mailing list, the
developer of mingw-get is reading that.

Indeed, "mingw-get remove msys-texinfo" seems to have done that.
If having to remove that package manually (as opposed to not installing it) is going to be a common situation, maybe INSTALL.MSYS should reflect that.