Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?) [was: Apologia for bzr]
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:55:24 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> That's a red herring.  What people are looking for are not editors that
>> are easy to learn, but editors that can be used without learning
>> anything at all.
>
> People are looking for editors that work similar enough to those that
> they already know.
>
> For most people, the *promise* of improved efficiency is not credible
> enough to invest the required time to learn Emacs.

I'm not convinced that this should overly influence our priorities.
It's like trying to make a piano appealing to iPod users.  Both are used
for producing music.

What _should_ be making us think about our priorities is when we lose
the input of heavy Emacs users like RMS, Ben Wing, Nix, to Repetitive
Strain Injury, and it appears like users of other editors are not
affected to a similar degree.

No idea about the actual numbers, though.  If they turned out to be more
than just anecdotal, that would at least provide an incentive for
long-term replanning of the default keybindings to be offered.

To me, that would carry more weight than "everybody else does x".

--
David Kastrup