Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:57:26 -0500

On 18 Jan 2014, at 13:55, Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Cursor movement - I see in the documentation and all over the
> Internet stated that you should use the default movement
> shortcuts because they are much more efficient than the arrow
> key bindings. Do people really find this true? OK, They are
> somewhat mnemonic, but efficient? Especially on keyboards
> missing a right Ctrl key I find them pretty awkward.
>
> Maybe I should try EVIL and see if that makes me more efficient.

Its not so much about using n, p, f, and b as it is about keeping
your hands in position above the home row. This is also why so many
emacs users make Caps_Lock into a control key - easy access from
the home row.

The RSI angle is similar - moving your hand from the home row
position to the arrow key cluster position _quickly_ often involves
twisting ones wrist in a way that can exacerbate RSI problems. When
youre primarily navigating around a buffer, you probably move your
arm so that yours fingers rest naturally above the arrow keys, but
if youre doing a lot of mixed typing and navigation, then youre
more likely to be twisting your wrist to keep your hand nearer to
that home row position (I think this is adduction/abduction, but
my physiology classes were a long time ago).

Early on, emacs users were especially likely to be using big
battleship keyboards, with arrow key clusters so far away that
moving the arm was required (lowering efficiency) or requiring a
more severe twist to the wrist. I believe this is where the efficiency
argument comes from, but thats just a theory.

Hope that helps,
~Chad