Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Generating the ChangeLog files from the commit messages
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:32:01 +0100

() Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
() Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:56:03 -0800

   Glenn's objection (2) was that he sometimes wants more details
   in the commit log than in the ChangeLog.  He's right, this is a
   downside, but my own feeling is that it's a minor one.  We
   shouldn't be spending so much time on ChangeLog files that we
   worry about this sort of thing.  Just write a decent entry and
   move on.

If we settle on an "official commit log format" that sets aside an
area for such details, then that area can be mechanically omitted
when generating the ChangeLog file.  I'm partial to:

 TITLE

 PARAGRAPH-1

 PARAGRAPH-2

 * FILE (FUNC): DESCRIPTION-OF-CHANGE.

The PARAGRAPHs are easily distinguishable; the generated ChangeLog
would be:

 YYYY-MM-DD  AUTHOR  <EMAIL>

 TITLE
 * FILE (FUNC): DESCRIPTION-OF-CHANGE.

(modulo some bol TABs), which is the current practice AFAICT.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502