Re: Generalizing find-definition

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Generalizing find-definition
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:25:33 +0100

On Fri, Dec 05 2014, Stephen Leake wrote:

> Other comments:
>
> xref.el needs (provide 'xref).

Added.

[...]
> That would be more consistent if the first reference was shown as:
>
>   (defun wisi-number-p)

OK.

> In ada-mode, I use compilation-mode for showing multiple references;
> that is a familiar UI. I gather the mode you implemented is similar to
> SLIME?

Yes, it's a simplified version of SLIME's UI.

> Perhaps we need another dispatch/user option to choose this UI?

I added a variable xref-show-xrefs-function so that people can
experiment with alternative UIs.  I'm not sure if compilation-mode is
able to handle locations that can't be represented as simple strings.

[...]
> I'd actually prefer xref-find-definitions as the user function, and
> xref-find-defintions-m as the dispatching function; the user function
> can show more than one definition.

I decided to call the backend functions xref-lookup-defintions and
xref-lookup-references and the commands xref-find-defintions
resp. xref-find-references.

Helmut