Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 20:36:32 +0300

> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 19:26:41 +0200
> From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I notice that you recommend merging master into the task branch, not the
> other way around, as I indicated. Which is fine.

(I didn't write that text.)

> But then we get to the “Merging Into the Upstream Master” section, and
> there I have some concerns.
>
> There you merge the task branch into a freshly updated master. Given
> that you recently merged the other way, that merge could well be a
> fast-forward, which is also fine. But then a little later, you do a
> commit, but won't that usually fail, because you already have a clean
> working directory? That is, after all, the result of a successful merge,
> whether fast-forward or not.

This survived without changes since the bzr instructions were written.
With bzr, these merges both ways didn't matter.  Also, bzr doesn't
automatically commit a successful merge, while Git does, which might
explain what you see.

So I suspect that the instructions need to be revised to some degree,
to reflect the differences.  Feel free to suggest them, or simply edit
the page.

Thanks.